Reduce Arrears

Child Support Arrears is unpaid, past-due child support which accumulates interest. Here are some options to help reduce your arrears:

Stipulate a Lump Sum

If your child support is owed to the custodial party, and not to the state of CA, you may make an offer a lump sum amount to the custodial party. If the custodial party agrees, Tehama Child Support Services can work with both parties to sign a stipulation agreement.

Use the Arrears Estimator

Because interest is accrued at a 10% rate on arrears, making small payments equal to the interest or less each month will result in paying on arrears indefinately. Use the arrears calculator and work with your case manager to figure out how much your monthly payments would need to be to pay off your arrears in a shorter amount of time. Increasing your payment can shorten your payments by years. Here's the link to the arrears estimator:

Compromise of Arrears Program (COAP)

If your arrears are owed to the state, you may qualify for the COAP program. Arrears balances may be reduced by 80% of what is owed. Speak to your case manager to see if you qualify. If you decide to apply it is important to be diligent in completing the application and all the necessary paperwork within 30 days.