License Release

Under California law, parents required to pay court ordered child support must pay on time and in full. If the payment is late or is not paid in full, the Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) can suspend or withhold a California driver license.

If your driver license has been suspended due to non-payment of child support, call your local child support agency to discuss a possible license release at 1-866-901-3212. Generally, your case manager will ask you to make a payment equal to one month's child support plus a small amount toward the payment you missed.

It is important to contact your worker if your license is suspended to make a payment. If you drive with a suspended license and are pulled over by law enforcement your vehicle may be impounded and you may be required to pay large impounding fees to get access to your vehicle.